InsFocus recently launched a major software update, InsFocus BI Version 3.5. The new version of the system adds significantly to the analytics and presentation capabilities of InsFocus BI while also greatly improving the system’s infrastructure. The update has a very wide scope and includes front-end, infrastructure and system center enhancements. We are excited to announce the addition of new options and components that will help streamline your systems.
Some of the front-end changes include new reporting options, enhancements to charts, and full support for two series treemaps. Treemapping is a data visualization technique that presents data in different colors and sizes according to scales chosen and is very useful for finding outliers within large sets of data.
New reporting features:
- Schedule can be chosen for specific months (e.g. only December, 1st month of each quarter).
- Reports can be sent according to day-of-month rules (e.g. send on last Thursday in month).
- E-mail subject and body can now be customized.
- Received scheduled e-mail contains call-to-action links (open report, remove me from this schedule)
Enhancements to charts:
- Placing two charts one above the other (showing for example target as line and actual as bar)
- New chart types – donut, area, spline (soft line).
- Colorful representation of pie/donut data labels with label color matching to point color.
- Opacity in chart colors (useful for placing two charts above the other).
Treemaps with two main series displayed in different sizes (main series) and colors (secondary series)
- Size – the main series of the data determines the rectangle size (e.g. agent premiums)
- Color – the secondary series determines the color (e.g. dark red – high loss ratio, light red – low loss ratio)
Other front-end improvements
- PDF export titles can use dynamic parameters (e.g. agent name).
- Drill-down can now be used in grids with list formatting.
- Report layout can now be custom with more than 6 viewers per page.
Numerous infrastructure changes have also been included in the updated InsFocus BI version. A new component named InsFocus Workflow was launched with the goal of streamlining BI processes. It allows system administrators to create custom workflows. Although the component is separate from the entire BI suite, it is fully integrated and contains a rich set of controls over security and authentication.
Workflow engine that creates custom workflows for:
- Running system administration & automations
- Sending custom reports
- Writing the results of reports to databases
Other infrastructure improvements:
- The system now catalogs every query builder definition set into an environment group (e.g. general insurance, life insurance, log). When a user logs in and tries to open a report shared from a different group, the system will automatically shift to the new group. Reports from other groups can be filtered in the shared libraries.
- Dimension attributes can now use custom SQL code, saving the need to create dimension tables for simple cases (e.g. yes/no dimension, fixed short lists).
- Calculated items can now be defined with different formulas by time base (so a single loss ratio item can have different calculations in underwriting, accounting and accident).
- Extension tables join can use custom SQL code for complex joins.
- Extension tables can be defined for specific items, and not only for item domains.
- Server definitions have been joined to a central managing location, making it unnecessary to redefine SQL authentication and similar choices for each database.
3. Systems Center
The log screens, scheduled reports screens, and items editing screens have been completely redesigned and updated for increased ease-of-use and navigation.
Enhancements to log screens for application and ELT:
- Load times is very fast – a few milliseconds.
- Each column can be filtered and sorted.
- Virtual scrolling eliminates need for paging.
- Log can be exported to Excel with one click.
- ETL log allows drilling down from session to group and task level, and allows filtering on specific tasks.
- ETL log now also measures each task’s and group’s duration, for better statistics.
- Application log contain master-child details of every action carried out.
Enhancements to the scheduled reports screen:
- Load in a very short time, even when there are hundreds of scheduled reports defined.
- Allows filtering and sorting on each attribute.
- Scheduled reports list can be exported with one click.
- Failed reports can be re-run in a batch.
Enhancements to the items editing screen:
- Displays all items in a filterable, sortable list.
- Items editing use a tabbed, easy-to-use interface.
- Every calculation group is displayed in a separate tab for easier editing.
- All drop-downs are searchable.
- Formula boxes are much bigger and allow for entering complex formulas.